Monday, February 16, 2009

music that changed my life...

The first tune I ever remember hearing that made me pay attention was "Rock and Roll, Part 2" by Gary Glitter, I think it came out in 1973 or something which would make me about 4 years old, it was such a hard, tough, here comes trouble kinda tune, very repetitve and the lyrics were very easy to remember even for a 4 year old. All I know is that when I was wee I wanted to have that as my theme song when I walked into a room. It transports me to a place we lived in called Wester Hailes, a suburb of Edinburgh, Scotland, which, at the time seemed like a cool place, but it became such a drug infested shithole they demolished the entire neighborhood we used to live in.


"Rebel Rebel" by David Bowie was the next tune that made the hair on my neck stand up, the guitar riff at the start is amazing! I remember seeing Bowie on a t.v. show called The Old Grey Whistle test, a music show on BBC2 late at night. His two different eyes were "mental" I thought.


I never considered music to be sexual, sensual or raunchy, (why would I when I was a kid right?) until I heard Donna Summer sing "Love to Love You Baby". NEVER have I sat and listened to each word so intently in my life until I heard her moan the lyrics to this tune. It's still hot, she's still hot and it still gets me hot.


Another tune by Donna Summer, "I Feel Love" she may have felt it, but I didn't, I was completely entranced by the techno! I was starting to dig music, really dig it, I had heard the future and it was drum machines and synths.

"Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll" by Ian Dury & the Blockheads what a sweet tune, for a crusty old punk this little ditty had it all stated clearly in its title. Clever lyrics all sung by somebody that was my Dads age. Wicked!


Bee Gees singing "Saturday Night Fever" this was what it took to be a man and get the chicks; great hair, FAT medallion, a white three piece suit with flared trousers. Why couldn't I have been of age when the disco wave crested?!??


Another tune that cemented the "future of all music for me was "The Model" by KRAFTWERK, holy crap! I fell in love with music once I heard this, techno, REAL TECHNO which is spelled k-r-a-f-t-w-e-r-k, became my identity for the next four years of my life, every album, every 12inch remix by these guys became daily listening for me, and when I got bored listening to it at regular speed I would speed it up or slow it down, surely there was a secret message hidden in here somewhere?


"Cars" by Gary Numan this tune was thee trump techno tune in my vinyl arsenal, what could possibly make techno any better? A techno tune about CARS! that's what. I learned to dance to this tune and I still use those very dance steps to this day.


The tune by one hit wonders M rates high on important tunes, "Pop Muzik". Remember this one? "new york, london, paris, munich, everbody talk about; pop muzik!" Techno was about to fall flat on it's face, "real" instruments were needed, if only somebody could blend guitars with a drum machine, some haunting backing lyrics song by a hottie in a leotard, biting lead vocals and a catchy whistle for a chorus....

That itch was scratched by Peter Gabriels "Games without Frontiers" What an amazing tune, this was when I realised music could really be deep and have layers and be political or... something.


ANY SONG BY THE SMITHS, enough said.


"I Wanna Be Adored" by The Stone Roses. Phenominal piece of work, I thought for the longest time he was saying "I wanna be your dog, you'll adore me" I was close. The Stone Roses kept getting better and better too. The lead singers solo stuff is pretty good too. This tune reminds me of high school.


Quite possibly the ultimate soundtrack when realising the romance is over has to go to The Sundays "Here's Where the Story Ends" the vocals, lyrics, it all just fits.


"Missing" is one of those songs I'd hope a chick would put on a mix tape for me. Everything But the Girl are one of my fave bands when I'm feeling melancholy, chicks never made mix tapes for guys though did they? They did?!!


Does anyone remember Skee-Lo? I'm not a fan of rap or hip hop or urban or R'n'B but I LOVED this tune; "I Wish". Remember? "I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller, I wish I had a girl who looked good I would call her" Oh come on people! It was an instant classic! Give it a listen and all of a sudden your transported to L.A. in the summertime... yo.

Ok, how about The New Radicals "You Get What You Give"? Another band that packed it in before getting started, this track brings a tear to my eye even today.


"Maps" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, is a love song that should be considered perfect, nothing is more beautiful than unrequited love. I should know. I was turned on to the YYY's by an ex-girlfriend who also schooled me on another great band on this list;


Interpol, anything from the album "Turn On the Bright Lights".


Blur is another great band, but, for reasons unknown to me right now I'm going to pass them up and give "Feel Good Inc." by Gorillaz a mention, dreamy, trippyand fun to dance to. Completely different from anything ever done, correct me if I'm wrong.



"Young Folks" by Peter, Bjorn and John. Effin' great! Music was fun and simple again, this tune totally reminds me of when I first moved to the City, it was an exciting time, buzzing 24 hours a day.


"Ice Cream" by New Young Pony Club was the first tune I loved and latched onto when I returned solo to S.F. Fun, fun, kinda sexy and fun. But enough about me, let's get back to the music hahaha.


Ok, so, I need to wrap up this list, keep in mind that it's not an exhaustive compendium of all the music that meant something to me, just the ones I felt like sharing, ok? Finally, one last good dancey fun track for you to google, if you like electro clash, and I know you do, you owe it to yourself to give "Shut Up and Let Me Go" by The Ting Tings a listen, funky guitars, disco cymbal work and jangly lyrics. A scenester anthem for the ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment